This is an initial template you can use for your upgrade steps.
Upgrade steps template
- Put up your maintenance page on your current environment.
- Stop the application.
- Stop all background jobs, cron jobs, etc. that update data.
- Ensure that there are no longer any connections to the database.
- Dump and compress the database.
scpit to your database instance.
rsyncany assets over to your new instance(s).
- Load your the DB dump into the database.
- Test the new setup on Engine Yard Cloud (this is the final step before sending your users over to the new setup).
- Update DNS to point to your Engine Yard Cloud IP.
- Update your Nginx config to redirect any traffic hitting your old IP to the new IP.
Before you start your upgrade, we recommend that you walk through the above steps, modify them as needed for your particular environment and add/remove steps as needed. For a running production environment, you can just document and simulate steps 1–4 and 10–11 and walk through the remaining steps.
Tip: Listing out or scripting any commands needed for each step can save time and prevent human errors.
If you have feedback or questions about this page, add a comment below. If you need help, submit a ticket with Engine Yard Support.