Differences in the v7 stack from our stack older versions
What stays the same with the v7 Stack
- Engine Yard's Stack v7 continues on the path set by v6 and is based on the Ubuntu LTS distribution.
- Chef runs in the same way that on v6, meaning custom cookbooks are executed after main recipes, and main recipes' behavior can be modified through the know overlay method.
- Services can continue to be enabled through environment variables like 'EY_REDIS_ENABLED=true' and 'EY_SIDEKIQ_ENABLED=true'.
What changes with the v7 Stack
- All core chef recipes have been renamed to include the 'ey-' prefix. Meaning what used to be 'redis' now is named 'ey-redis'. This impacts custom recipes that overlay core ones, although a simple change on name & paths should be enough.
- As part of every release, all core Chef recipes now are going through a linter. Hopefully the code is easier to read now.
- Graviton-based instances are available, and can be added to an environment alongside x86 ones. This means the same set of Chef recipes run on both.
- To deploy applications on v7, version 3.0.4 of Serverside (the EYC deployment process) has to be used.
Article is closed for comments.